OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Reiners <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2008 19:35:57 -0500
Warm spells in the past few weeks (I can't remember them somehow, but I'm
sure they happened) and northward-moving waterfowl have combined to create
some good birding here.  I arrived -- and spent the majority of my available
time - at the lower (eastern) end of the reservoir, where a sizable hole in
the ice consolidated waterfowl into one relatively small area.  Almost the
entire upper reservoir is ice-free, I discovered, drawing considerably
larger numbers (maybe five times those listed below for many species) but
maintaining a similar species composition and proportion.  I did not get
around most of the upper end, including where Jim Glover reported the
Greater White-fronted Geese yesterday.  Other species may also have been
present.  The following were present on the lower reservoir:

Canada Goose - small numbers

Gadwall - 4

Am. Wigeon - 20-25

Am. Black Duck - 4

Mallard 60-80

N. Pintail - 75

Green-winged Teal - 20-25

Canvasback - 10

Redhead - 100+

Ring-necked Duck - 10

Greater Scaup - 2

Lesser Scaup - 55-60

Common Goldeneye - 25

Hooded Merganser - 30-35

Red-breasted Merganser - 40

Common Merganser - 5

Pied-billed Grebe - 1

Other species on note were Bald Eagle (1 adult), numerous Turkey Vultures
and Killdeer in the area, territorial Red-winged Blackbirds, and many
American Robins.  Herring and Ring-billed Gulls were present (at least
several hundred), about 80-90% the latter.  Happy Birding!

Eric Reiner

Ashville, OH