OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:13:21 -0400
The eleventh annual March census was conduct today on Kelleys Island.
Participants were Tom Bartlett, Phil & Phyllis Corathers, and Sandy Tkach.
Weather was cloudy to partly cloudy, 31-41 degrees F, winds 3-10 mph SW then
NE; beautiful day!  Over the last 10 years we have averaged 55 species and
4911 individuals on a March census.  This year we had 56 species and 12,194
individuals.  Snow Goose, Tundra Swan, Iceland Gull, and Tufted Titmouse
were new to the March census list.  The Snow Goose was also a first on any
census route done to date.  In addition, American Pipit and Snow Bunting are
uncommon on a March census.  This was our highest count of individuals in
eleven years on a March census.  The highlight of the day was the discovery
of a new Bald Eagle nest on the SE side of the island.  A pair of nested
unsuccessfully at the North Pond for the last several years.  Maybe this
nest will have better luck.

1       Snow Goose (Blue morph)
172     Canada Goose
19      Tundra Swan
2       Wood Duck
2       American Black Duck
32      Mallard
10      Canvasback
9       Redhead
8       Ring-necked Duck
1117    Greater Scaup
4730    Lesser Scaup
2450    Scaup species?
249     Bufflehead
856     Common Goldeneye
*       Hooded Merganser
123     Common Merganser
345     Red-breasted Merganser
800     Duck species? (Divers)
2       Great Blue Heron
2       Bald Eagle (1 adult, 1 immature)
2       Red-shouldered Hawk
*       Rough-legged Hawk
11      Killdeer
16      Ring-billed Gull
99      Herring Gull
1       Iceland Gull (second year)
7       Great Black-backed Gull
1       Mourning Dove
*       Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
16      Downy Woodpecker
1       Northern Flicker
1       Blue Jay
73      American Crow
9       Horned Lark
35      Black-capped Chickadee
3       White-breasted Nuthatch
1       Tufted Titmouse
7       Brown Creeper
3       Carolina Wren
5       Golden-crowned Kinglet
2       Eastern Bluebird
5       Hermit Thrush
124     American Robin
27      European Starling
2       American Pipit
1       Cedar Waxwing
8       Yellow-rumped Warbler
1       Eastern Towhee
9       American Tree Sparrow
7       Song Sparrow
11      White-throated Sparrow
4       Dark-eyed Junco
8       Snow Bunting
46      Northern Cardinal
389     Red-winged Blackbird
9       Rusty Blackbird
273     Common Grackle
23      Brown-headed Cowbird
*       Purple Finch
15      House Finch
*       Common Redpoll
9       American Goldfinch
1       House Sparrow

* = observed on the island but not during the census

56 Species
12,194 individuals

Tom Bartlett
Tiffin, Ohio