OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
alexis a athan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
alexis a athan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 08:29:25 -0400
Tuesday morning , crossing Staddens Bridge (Staddens Bridge Rd, east Newark Ohio )  I saw an (Great?) Egret below the bridge. I was running a little late , so couldn't stop to check it out. It was dark when I got off work, so no chance to check again on Tuesday. Well the next morning the river was flooding and no Egret in sight. Then on Thursday I was talking to one of the younger boys at work about birds(not a bird person) , he had seen a "Huge Hawk" kill a pigeon". He just couldn't believe what he had seen, said it was just ripping it apart. He even honked he's horn to try and scare the hawk away! I told him, everybody has to eat....it just wasn't that pigeon's lucky day. Then he said he was crossing the 2nd street bridge (in Newark) at Ohio St and saw a "Huge White Bird down by the river"  He was very excited and said he had never seen anything like this in his life "It was a huge white stork like thing" . So it looks like the Egret is still in the area. The 2nd st bridge is maybe 3-4 miles upstream from where I saw the bird on Tuesday. So those of us here in Newark should keep our eyes open along the Licking River and maybe we will be lucky enough to see the "Huge white stork like thing"......:)