OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:23:19 EDT
I was surprised to find that there are two great horned owl nests at either
end of the Medusa Marsh area.

The western nest is in the small woodlot at the western edge of the marsh
complex (there is a small, abandoned looking cabin in this woodlot).  It is
difficult to view.  This nest was constructed by eagles a couple of years  ago.

The eastern nest is visible from the northern side of the overpass where
McCartney Rd passes over Rt 2.  It is in a woodlot just to the northeast of  the
overpass.  It was constructed last year by red-tailed hawks and they
successfully fledged their young.

Measuring on my DeLorme, I found that these nests are exactly 2 miles  apart,
as the owl flies.

Two other raptor nests of note in the area can be seen from the Rt 2/Rt 101
McDonalds' parking lot.  The woodlot to the west contains an eagle nest  (they
usurped a former red-tail nest last year).  That same woodlot has a  new
red-tail nest at its southern edge, close to Rt 2.  The nest is visible  from
McD's lot, but the bird on it was not visible.  I could see some  movement in the
nest, so to confirm the ID of the bird I had to pull over along  the entrance
ramp to Rt 2 West.  DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF.  I am  posting my findings so
none of you try the same, illegal move.  From this  quick stop, I was able to
confirm that it is a red-tail nest.

Sheryl Young
Sandusky

Home.