OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2008 16:05:04 -0400
I went birdwatching on a neighborhood trail with my 2 1/2 yr-old son this
afternoon.  He even has his own little pair of binoculars and is remarkably
interested by the birds, squirrels, logs, mud and anything else we happen
across--so it's a lot of fun to take him out.  We ended up putting
together a pretty darn good list for just a walk through the neighborhood
woods and fields out here in Hilliard.  Here are the highlights:

At least 6 Rusty Blackbirds were hanging out in the flooded woods just north
of the Hilliard Village clubhouse.  They were very vocal, and allowed quite
close approach.  This species has been eluding me for the 2 1/2 years I've
lived in Ohio, until today!  There were 2 females and 4 males.  One male I
got very good looks at was almost entirely in breeding plumage: black
overall with a greenish sheen and white eye, but with some remaining rusty
tips on the feathers on his back. So cool.

A Fox Sparrow was foraging on the ground with the Rusty Blackbirds and a
bunch of robins.  Field and Song Sparrows and Eastern Towhees singing,
Chipping and White-throated Sparrows seen at various points.

Four woodpeckers: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Downies, a Red-bellied, and a
Common Flicker.

One fresh-plumaged Eastern Phoebe was feeding at the edge of the woods

2 pairs of Lesser Scaup, 4 pairs of Ring-necked Ducks, 1 pair of Redheads,
and a pair of Pied-billed Grebes were on the pond (plus a lot of Mallards
and Canada Geese)

An Eastern Bluebird was feeding in the field along Steffi Rd. just north of
the woods.

It turned out to be a beautiful afternoon, and it was a great opportunity to
spend some good time with my boy and get away from my books!

Have a good one,
-Nate Nye