OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 07:09:47 -0700
Greetings---a wow day in Mahoning Co. yesterday 3/22.  Easily 2500+ ducks of 17 species, 300+ horned grebes, swans, raptors, gulls.  In the morning, 5 tundra swans flew right over my yard.  A good omen.  On to L. Milton; here I found impressive numbers of divers:  1500 ring-necked ducks, 250 lesser scaup, 180 horned grebes, 150 redheads, 100 buffleheads, 25 canvasbacks, 20 c. goldeneyes, 15 red-breasted mergansers, ruddy ducks, common loons, and pied-billed grebes, hooded merganser.  Also small numbers of Am. black ducks, n. pintails, great blue herons, Am. coots.  Next I checked Berlin Res.:  it had very few waterfowl.  About 1500 ring-billed gulls though.  A male n. harrier and a kestrel in the area.  Then I drove east through rural Mahoning Co., finding 25 tundra swans, 700 ring-billed gulls, hundreds of Am. robins, Am. tree sparrow, and white-throated sparrow.  Next stop was at Pine L., dabbling ducks were good here:  Am. black ducks, mallards, gadwalls, Am. wigeon, 50
 n. pintails, n. shovelers, green-winged teal.  Also ring-necked ducks, lesser scaup, buffleheads, goldeneyes, 3 bald eagles, coots, and n. mockingbird.  At Evans L. I added a hen greater scaup and n. flicker.  There were some more diving duck also.  On the way home I went past the usually boring Hamilton L. and was surprised to see there:  130 horned grebes, 125 lesser scaup, buffleheads, and goldeneyes.  A real good end to a great day!  Craig in Lowellville, Mahoning Co.