OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Rita Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rita Schneider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:32:56 -0400
Laura Alldridge and I traveled to western Lake Erie today, and at 11:30am we
observed an immature Golden Eagle crossing over Rt. 2, just east of 250
(Delorme 39A).  It was moving north, and flew low enough to easily see the
white tail band with dark terminal, and the bright white wrist patches.
An Ohio lifebird!

Other highlights:
--More than a dozen bald eagles throughout the day, some on nests
--Blue and white morph snow geese (tip by scope owner) among the many ducks
- redheads, scaup, ring-necked, canvasback, gadwall, wigeon, bufflehead,
no.shoveler (Metzger)
--Great egrets (Metzger and Magee)
--Greater and lesser yellowlegs (opposite Metzger entrance)
--Mixed kettle of Turkey vultures and Red-tailed hawks swirling up in a
thermal in the sunlight over the Metzger entrance
--Tundra and trumpeter swans (Magee)
--Northern Harriers - incl. one adult male (Ottawa)

Many groups of Turkey vultures moving through the area - a quick stop at the
BSBO Raptor Survey at Magee gave great looks at some of them streaming over,
along with a number of hawks.
I'm spending some time volunteering each week at the survey -- it's a great
vantage point to see many birds going by!

Cheers,
Rita Schneider
Cuyahoga Co.