OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:00:28 EDT
Eastlake has undergone a big change in the last day.  The astonishing
multitudes of Hooded Mergansers, Redheads and Canvasbacks are completely gone,  with
the exception of one lone Canvasback.  Of course the Red-breasted  Mergansers
remain in force, and they are a ton of fun to watch as they cavort in  mating
rituals - seem to be four gyrating males for every aloof female.   Saw one
Northern Shoveler and a clutch of Goldeneye, plus fewer but still  abundant
Horned Grebes.  The prettiest sight, though, was a tight and close  flock of Ruddy
Ducks in beautiful spring plumage.  The fishermen were  grumbling because
there had not been one single fish caught all day.

Leaving Eastlake, I nearly drove into a snowbank as I spotted a magnificent
adult Northern Goshawk circling in a thermal above the road.  My life  Goshawk
was seen just one week ago today so I am very sure of this  identification as
it closely resembled the previous bird.

Suzanne Wagner, Pepper Pike

Home.