OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Julie Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:08:30 -0400
Hi folks!

Anyone that was out driving around yesterday in NW Ohio should have been
shadowed by hawks flying overhead. Light winds turned southerly by 11 AM and
kept the Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) volunteers busy on the tower at
Magee Marsh W/A. Hawks were flying on all sides of the tower and by late
afternoon the Turkey Vultures were tree height. Close to 500 birds were seen
from the tower. I received early this morning a report from another BSBO
volunteer who counted at the site at Maumee Bay Sledding Hill yesterday. He
counted over 600 birds in less than 3 hours.  The birds were moving in a
broad band north and west. Late March is the peak for raptor diversity and
peak time for Turkey Vultures and Red-tailed Hawks. BSBO's Hawk Count
numbers can be found on www.bsbobird.org upper right corner.

It is a great time to get outdoors!

Enjoy spring,

Julie Shieldcastle