OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:41:36 -0700
We had a very busy day counting kettles of vultures today.  By 6:00 this evening we had seen at least 9-10 kettles of various sizes.  The largest had about 45-50 vultures all soaring on the thermals over the Catawba Island area.  We began watching at about 10:30 this morning, and watching the breaks in between groups (about 20 minutes to half hour), and they were all headed over the Lake Erie Islands and north to Canada.  We figure we must have watched about 300-350 vultures fly by.  We did spot an unusual flyer.  One vulture appeared to have a shorter left wing, but as he flew in lower it was easy to see that his left wing held many white feathers.  It made the wing look short from a distance, but when he flew over the house, we could distinctly see about 1/4 of his wing was white from the tip towards the shoulder.  Would be curious to see if anyone else spots our "Whitey", he flew by at about 2:00 to 2:15 PM.  Also seen this afternoon was a 2yr old bald eagle, one we
 believe we have seen cruising around Mouse Island off the tip of Catawba Island.  Also saw a full adult bald having dinner in a tree near the Rt. 53 and Rt. 163 causeway.  A very nice day indeed!

  Mary Krejci
  Catawba Island