OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Julie Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:01:08 -0500
Hi,

Adding to the list of Killdeer which have been frequently calling today in
the Marsh region, there was a Wilson's Snipe in the parking lot of the
Sportsman's Migratory Bird Center at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area this morning.
There were several flocks of crows flying along the lake front and many
robins flying along the Crane Creek Park road as well. A meadowlark also
flushed while driving along the park road this morning. Red-winged
Blackbirds came in last week setting up their territories. Be on the look
out in flooded fields for shorebirds and waterfowl foraging on invertebrates
as ice melts and the ground begins to warm. Spring is definitely here!

The Spring Raptor Migration Monitoring Project of the Black Swamp Bird
Observatory began on Saturday March 1st. There have been several Red-tailed
Hawks, Cooper's Hawks, Bald Eagles, a Northern Harrier, and yes, even a
Turkey Vulture migrating north! (It still looked like a Turkey Vulture I am
told even though it was not after March 15th) I anticipate that today should
bring more raptors north ahead of this front.

Stay tuned to more updates on the Raptor Project.

Enjoy,

Julie Shieldcastle

Black Swamp Bird Observatory