OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:37:04 -0400
Expanding the theme of a beautiful birding day yesterday, I spent from 4:30
- 6:00 pm at Prairie Oaks (west of Columbus on I-70, exit 85, go north about
a mile).  At the big lake (southern lake) there were:

Common Loon (1) splashing and dancing
Horned Grebes (one about 1/2 way to breeding plumage)
Pied-billed Grebes
Lesser Scaup (1)
Ruddy Ducks (several)
Bufflehead (1)
And lots of Coots

On the west side of Darby Creek noteworthy species include:

Ring-necked Ducks (one pair in the pond near first picnic area)
Carolina Wren (beautiful and LOUD song)
E. Towhee (Lots!)
White-throated Sparrows

and all the winter birds that you would expect!