OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:02:25 EDT
Hello!

Yesterday (Saturday, March 29th), Dan Sanders and I birded several  locations
along a circuit south and west of Columbus starting at the Clarence  Brown
Reservoir at Buck Creek State Park NE of Springfield and ending at Antrim  Lake
in Columbus. In between, our circuit included stops at Old Reid Park  across
from the Clarence Brown Reservoir,  Spring Valley WA, Caesar Creek  Visitor
Center feeders and Lake (from the beach only), the Melvin gravel quarry  pond,
wetlands off of Dick Road near Deer Creek Reservoir, Deer Creek Reservoir  from
the beach area, the Haul Road quarry ponds off of SR 104 in south Columbus,
and the "Watermark Lake" in the Watermark complex in Grandview (I-670 and
Grandview Avenue).

Without going into the detail of listing every species observed at each
location, selected highlights of the trip included the following:

American White Pelican-as previously reported, 3 resting at the northern
reaches of the Brown Reservoir accessed off of Grant Road.  Later in the
morning, they slowly spiraled up and out of view.

Surf Scoter-great close up views of a first winter female at Old Reid  Park

Great Egret-3 at Old Reid Park

White-Winged Scoter-as previously reported, 2 at the Watermark  Lake

Canvasback-4 at the Watermark Lake

Common Loon-40 (est.) at Brown Reservoir, 7 (est.) at Melvin gravel quarry
lake, 1 at the Haul Road quarry lake, and 1 at the Watermark Lake

Osprey-1 flying over the entrance area to the Deer Creek beach

Tree Swallow-70 (est.) flying over the lake at Spring Valley WA (no Purple
Martins observed)

Swamp Sparrow-2 at Spring Valley along boardwalk

Eastern Meadowlark-at least 2 near the parking area overlooking the Brown
Reservoir on east side of lake

Generally, the most numerous diving birds observed overall included Coot,
Scaup, Red-Breasted Merganser, and Horned Grebe, with lesser numbers of
Bufflehead, Redhead, Ring-Necked Duck, Ruddy Duck, Pied-Billed Grebe, and Hooded
Merganser.  Common Goldeneye were observed at the Brown Reservoir (2) and  at
Spring Valley (1 female).  Dabblers observed included Green- and  Blue-Winged
Teal, Gadwall (great close up views at Old Reid Park), with lesser  numbers of
Northern Shoveler, American Wigeon, Black Duck, and Wood Duck.   Large flocks of
Cormorants were observed near the Pelicans and at the Haul Road  quarry lake
(75 est. at each location).

At Caesar Creek and Deer Creek, lake levels were very high and at Deer
Creek, park roads from SR 207 leading down to various observation points were
closed due to high water.  Please e-mail me privately for more specific
information on any location and/or species.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio

Home.