OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:31:51 -0400
After church today I traveled some of the roads in northern Licking Co., my
OBBA II blocks mainly.

I found another nest that was probably built by red-tailed hawks, but could
not determine if it is currently being used.  (59C6CW)  Stay tuned!

Of note:

First field sparrow singing for this season

Between 50-100 American pipits in a cornfield

A smallish (probably male) full adult bald eagle (59C6SE) near St.
Louisville.  Several people had reported one over-wintering, but I hadn't
seen it before today.

A lot of eastern bluebirds.

A group of male wood ducks - what beautiful birds! (59C6CW)

Most of the March regulars were out and about as well.

The three great egrets did not appear to be on Smoots Lake today.  However,
I did see what I believe was a male bufflehead.  I didn't have my scope, and
it moved behind some brush, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.    It's
not the first I've seen this spring in Licking Co.  I can't wait to have a
closer look at Smoots Lake.

Margaret Bowman