OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:19:36 -0400
Hi,

I wanted to add a little information to the closures that Chris notes below
about Funk Bottoms (Wayne County).  Yes, Route 95 and Funk Roads (north of
Rt. 95), as well as the road to the observation tower continue to be
inundated.  Nevertheless, one can still view a lot of waterfowl at
Funk.  Today the western side of Wilderness Road (access from Funk
Road--Route 3 crosses to the west side of the Bottoms from Elyria Road)
gave us the best views of swans, gulls and ducks by the many
hundreds--though spread out.  Any of the closed roads may give views of
lots of waterfowl, depending upon conditions--you can make 3-point (or 4 or
5!) turns to retrace your steps.

At Killbuck Marsh again, you can swerve around the "road closed" signs and
look from places like Cemetery Road, without concern about traffic!  You'll
likely be in good company--there have been numerous other birders in these
areas when I've been there!  You cannot criss-cross the marsh on the
various roads, until the waters recede, as Chris cautions.

Helen Ostermiller