OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:56:33 -0400
Held in Columbus by other things, I focused on birding some areas along these two urban creek corridors.  Along Alum Creek, I stopped by Innis Park and Tanager Woods, while along Big Walnut I visited Academy Park and the Hoover dam spillway.  Most of these areas had good helpings of early temperate migrants.  Highlights included

Wood Ducks - several pairs along both creeks, presumably prospecting for nest-sites

Red-br.Mergansers - 100+ scattered in lower Hoover Reservoir above Hoover Dam

Common Loons - 4 in lower Hoover Reservoir

Woodpeckers - lots of drumming Downies & Red-bellies, plus the occasional Flicker and Hairy, but no sapsuckers yet.

Phoebes - good numbers, with 2-3 at every stop.  There was hardly a moment when I wasn't within earshot of one.

Swallows - a small mixed group of Tree & Rough-winged were foraging over the Hoover dam spillway

Red-br.Nuthatch - a single bird was visiting a feeder in a yard bordering Innis Park

Brown Creeper - single birds were at Academy Park, Innis, and Tanager Woods

Wrens - 2 Winter Wrens were crawling through flood debris in Academy Park

Kinglets - good numbers of Golden-crowned, with small flocks at every stop

Sparrows - small flocks of White-throats at every stop.  A cluster of 4 Fox Sparrows were lurking in the brambles at Innis Park (a very reliable spot for them), while another was at Academy Park.  2 Towhees were singing on territories at Innis, as well.

Blackbirds - lots of redwings, grackles, & cowbirds all morning, but no Rusties.