OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Richard Cressman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:20:11 -0400
Following up on my observation of yesterday, I found that (even though
Sibley doesn't show it and that I have never seen it through years of
seeing them), the bill color of the Great Egret can be other than bright
yellow/orange. Also they can show stringy plumes. So I have to conclude,
contrary to what I said,  that this bird was a Great Egret just hunkered
down in the weeds.

All of these photos show atypical bill patterns in Great Egrets. Most are
from the SE U.S.

This first photo shows a bill pattern very similar to what I saw
yesterday.
http://tinyurl.com/2rmmqs

The next 2 show GREG with stringy plumes
http://tinyurl.com/38fmno

This one is really displaying its plumes.
http://tinyurl.com/38cybs

Phil Ware showed me a photo he took and posted of one he took in Florida,
which also shows some stringy plumage.
http://tinyurl.com/37mumb

I stopped by the Scioto Audubon MP again this afternoon. 5 Gr Egrets were
foraging along the bank on the side opposite the boad ramp and soon flew
upstream. Another white bird with some stringy plumes was hunkered down
along the shore but stayed put. It was too far away to see details. But
after I did a little more birding along the river, it did stand up and
stretched it neck displaying the image of a Great Egret.

I am now wondering if this is just an aberrant form, a race difference,
or perhaps a non-breeding adult.

Also on the river were 20-some Hooded Merganser, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, a
couples Coots, and DC Cormorants in the teens (at least) plus a few dozen
Ring-billed Gulls, with a few Herrings mixed in.

Rich

Richard Cressman
Columbus OH

4