OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:21:24 -0400
Hello all,

About 15 people came out for our Sunday walk in the north part of Glen
Helen.  It was chilly and overcast, but the rain mostly held off until
after we had finished.  We followed the Talus Trail up Birch Creek, and
past the Yellow Spring on our return trip, with a brief side-jaunt out to
the Outdoor Education Center blind and Baldwin Pond meadow.

22 species were found, most of which were common residents.

Among the less-expected, we saw our first phoebes of the year, with three
popping up at various spots along Birch Creek.  At the Baldwin Pond
meadow, we found three fox sparrows.  This was a bird that we did not find
at all last year, so it felt good to track these down.  Our walk also took
us past a great horned owl nest.  No juveniles found, but we saw one of
the adults -- first in flight, and later perched on a branch.

The list in total:
Great blue heron
Turkey vulture
Canada goose