OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Kimberly Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 01:04:02 EST
I want to thank  everyone who joined us for the Black Swamp Bird
Observatory's 15th annual  banquet, in Columbus last weekend.   More than 100 people came
together to celebrate a mutual commitment to birds, research, education, and
conservation.  It was a particular treat to see a number of our  partnering
organizations represented at our event.  We are proud to work  alongside
organizations like Audubon Ohio, Columbus Audubon, Greater Mohican  Audubon Society,
Kirtland Bird Club, Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Ohio  Ornithological
Society, Toledo Metroparks, Toledo Naturalists Association,  Ohio Lepidopterists,
and Earth Share of Ohio, and we thank them for supporting  BSBO and attending
our celebration.

Thank you to our guest speaker Miyoko Chu, of the Cornell Laboratory of
Ornithology, for her stirring insight into songbird migration, and  for
autographing copies of her recently published book, Songbird  Journeys.

Special thanks to Jerry Tinianow, Executive Director of Audubon Ohio, for
giving us a tour of the Whittier Peninsula, future site of the Grange Insurance
Audubon Center, and sharing the vision for all that the center can
accomplish.  Thanks to Darlene Sillick, President of Columbus Audubon, for  helping to
organize our event and arranging our field trip to Green Lawn  Cemetery.  For
many in the group it was our first visit to this Audubon  Important Bird Area
(this IBA also includes Whittier Peninsula) and it certainly  didn't
disappoint!  A glimpse of the Merlin and fabulous looks at the Pine  Warbler that's
been hanging out there since January were highlights of the trip.  And, finally,
thanks to Phil Chaon, Ethan Kistler, Bret McCarty, and Auriel  VanDerLaar, for
representing the Ohio Young Birders Club at the banquet, helping  to leading
our Sunday morning field trip, and for helping us all to believe  in a bright
future for birds and birding!

Sincerely,

Kim Kaufman
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
419-898-4070
_www.bsbobord.org_ (http://www.bsbobord.org)

 It's Tax Time! _Get  tips, forms and advice on AOL Money &  Finance._
(http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)