OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2008 09:23:57 -0500
Hi OHbirders,

Duck migration is in full swing at the Delaware wildlife area with 17
species of waterfowl. It was a good morning for our ornithology lab,
considering many species were new birds for the students. Highlights
were a pair of Wood Ducks, a Bonaparte's Gull, a flyover Lapland
Longspur, and a Bald Eagle which kicked up all the waterfowl. There
were about 3000 individuals flying around when the eagle flew over,
but the birds were backlit and went unidentified.

Canada Goose     400
Wood Duck     2
Gadwall     1
American Wigeon     40
American Black Duck     150
Mallard     800
Northern Shoveler     1
Northern Pintail     80
Green-winged Teal     10
Redhead     30
Ring-necked Duck     40
Lesser Scaup     15
Bufflehead     1
Common Goldeneye     25
Hooded Merganser     40
Common Merganser     2
Ruddy Duck     12
Horned Grebe     1
Great Blue Heron     1
Bald Eagle     1
American Kestrel     1
American Coot     20
Killdeer     15
Bonaparte's Gull     1
Ring-billed Gull     750
Herring Gull     1
Mourning Dove     25
Downy Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     4
American Crow     10
Horned Lark     5
Carolina Chickadee     2
Eastern Bluebird     1
American Robin     40
European Starling     100
American Tree Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     5
Lapland Longspur     1
Northern Cardinal     4
Red-winged Blackbird     350
Eastern Meadowlark     1
Rusty Blackbird     2
Common Grackle     200
Brown-headed Cowbird     10
House Finch     6
House Sparrow     2

--
Sean Williams
Ohio Wesleyan University(attending from Boston)