OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 07:26:27 -0500
7:26 a.m.:  About 15 minutes ago a flock of over 1000 blackbirds - redwings,
common grackles, and cowbirds, descended upon my back yard and cleaned out 5
black oil sunflower feeders and three suet feeders in a matter of minutes.
The only thing they didn't plunder was the thistle seed sock.  It was scary!
Keep in mind my yard is only 40 feet wide and about 100 feet deep, so it's a
very small yard, with one large sugar maple at the back and a few bushes and
shrubs planted to attract birds and butterflies.  The forsythia bush was
weighted down almost to the ground.  The maple tree was black with birds,
and the utility lines into the house were sagging.

I can assure you that in the five years I've lived here, I've never seen
anything even remotely like it, and now I know where Alfred Hitchcock got
his inspiration.

This ought to be an interesting birding day, to say the least.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH