OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Unger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:53:39 -0800
I got up early (for me--7:15 a.m.) to see what the
Great Blizzard of 2008 had brought and was delighted
to find a couple of tree sparrows foraging with the
juncos, house finches, house sparrows and tree
sparrows in our northern Columbus (near Worthington)
front yard, under the feeder beside our big blue
spruce.  Might not seem exciting to most folks, but
I've rarely seen them south of 161 and never in my
very own yard since this is our first winter in this
house.  I observed that the tree and song sparrows
were also eating the little leaves left on an azalia
bush.  A male robin commandeered one of the backyard
feeders nearly all day, snacking on the suet and
driving off all competitors.  Fourteen species in all,
but not the pair of red-breasted nuthatches who lived
in the spruce all winter; I think they left some time
last week.  And not the Carolina wrens, who usually
show up when it snows; that worries me.
Pam Unger

I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing. --Rabbi Hillel