OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Bruce Lombardo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Lombardo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2008 21:58:18 -0500
We had 23 also - highest for our feeding station. We live in a big forest,
near a hemlock gorge.

  1.. Carolina Chickadee (3)
  2.. Tufted Titmouse (2)
  3.. N. Cardinal (14)
  4.. White-breasted Nuthatch (2)
  5.. American Goldfinch (95)
  6.. Red-breasted Nuthatch (1)
  7.. Downy Woodpecker (3)
  8.. Purple Finch (65)
  9.. N. Junco (19)
  10.. White-throated Sparrow (2)
  11.. Red-bellied Woodpecker (1)
  12.. Song Sparrow (5)
  13.. Fox Sparrow (2)
  14.. Am.Tree Sparrow (20)
  15.. Rufous-sided Towhee (2)
  16.. Carolina Wren (1)
  17.. Brown Creeper (1)
  18.. White-crowned Sparrow (1)
  19.. Common Grackle* (45)
  20.. Red-winged Blackbird* (20)
  21.. Rusty Blackbird* (3)
  22.. Brown -headed Cowbird* (22)
  23.. House Finch* (3)
*The last five species were new today!

I didn't count the single robin that flew in and observed twice, but did not
actually partake (as far as I was able to tell) - despite the dried currants
I've been trying to tempt frugivores with.

I was fortunate to have a big stash of cracked corn with which to tempt the
icterids away from the feeders, so that the little guys could still feed. We
went through a frightful amount of seed today. Everyone was so frantic, with
ten inches of snow cover.

So we are tied. But, considering you are in a small urban yard, I concede
the contest to you in the unlikely case that we have the highest number.

Thanks!

Bruce

Bruce Lombardo