OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 16:10:42 -0700
Hi All...

   Have seen a raptor-style (or Harrier-style) bird yesterday and today cruising over the open field (winter oats not doing so well) across the road that has me baffled. Unfortunately, it hasn't come any nearer than about 200 yds. and - as luck would have it - it has appeared when the binolculars weren't handy.

  It is a largish bird - about the size/shape of an Osprey (almost) but I'm pretty certain it isn't an Osprey. (Have seen plenty of Ospreys in Florida).  It is mostly white - white on top of the body and wings with very obvious jet-black wing-tips (top and bottom). It flies sorta like a Northern Harrier except usually higher and smoother and it has no white spot on the rump.

My place is southern Highland County, Ohio, about 25 miles above the Ohio River and about 50 miles east of Cincinnati.

  Any ideas ?

Many, many thanks !
  Jim Moore  [log in to unmask]