OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2008

From:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:12:51 -0400
Liz and I had a few hours this afternoon to break out of the weather-induced home detention.  We decided to head to Lorain County in search of Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs.  While we dipped on the Buntings, we were excited to find a pair of Longspurs on Russia Road west of the Lorain County Airport.  The Longspurs were with about a dozen Horned Larks working the margins of the road, alighting each time a car would pass.  Our best looks came while the birds worked through adjacent cornfield stubble just thirty or forty yards from the car.  The view allowed us to distinguish the two birds as a male and a female.

Other birds at or near the airport included four Rough-legged Hawks (three light phase and one dark phase), one Northern Harrier (female or first-year male), one Kestrel, one Red-tailed Hawk and a large flock of Ring-billed Gulls.

Further west we found our FOS Eastern Meadowlarks, Red-winged Blackbirds, Killdeer, Wild Turkey (four in a field on Denham Road), and two Creagles (if they had been Turkey Vultures, then they would have been a week early).  Two or three other Kestrels were also seen in Lorain County.  All told, I estimate we saw about 100 Horned Larks with the largest group being just 16 birds on Albrecht Road behind the airport.

On our drive out on Route 20, just east of the junction with Route 58, we had an adult Bald Eagle soaring above the highway slowly moving north.

Good Birding.

Tim and Liz Colborn
North Olmsted, Ohio