From:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 18:07:17 -0400
It was a great day to be out in the field today.  Lots of birds and
even good numbers of reptiles.  I birded Crane Creek, Metzgar Marsh,
Maumee State Park and Pearson Metropark.  I had 89 species, ending at
3:15 p.m.  The boardwalk at Crane Creek was alive with birds today,
especially Hermit Thrushes and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  You could not
move on the trail without flushing multiples of Hermit Thrushes.
Here are some of the species I had today:

Ring-necked Duck--still hundreds at Metzgar Marsh
Double-crested Cormorant--widespread but not in large numbers yet
Sharp-shinned Hawk--3 at Maumee SP
Merlin--One bird briefly perched along the drive into Metzgar Marsh
Sora--one heard along the boardwalk at Crane Creek
Greater Yellowlegs--seen at a number of flooded fields including at
Bono, Benton-Carroll Road with the largest number (10) on Bodi Rd.
Lesser Yellowlegs--one Benton-Carroll Road
Pectoral Sandpiper--2 off Platt Street in Bono and 25 on Benton-
Carroll road
Dunlin--14 in Bono; 70 Benton-Carroll Road
Bonaparte's Gull--100 resting in flooded field on Bodi Road
Caspian Tern--1 Maumee SP
Great Horned Owl--1 Maumee SP
Saw-whet Owl--1 along bird trail at Crane Creek
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker--3 Pearson Metropark
E. Phoebe--3 bird trail at Crane Creek
Tree Swallow--common today
N. Rough-winged Swallow--2 at entrance to Ottawa Refuge; 1 Maumee SP
Barn Swallow--3 plus at Metzgar Marsh
Black-capped Chickadee--2 on bird trail at Crane Creek
Red-breasted Nuthatch--1 Pearson Metropark
Brown Creeper--4 Crane Creek
Golden-crowned Kinglet--a few at Crane Creek and Pearson Metropark
Ruby-crowned Kinglet a few at Crane Creek and Pearson Metropark
Hermit Thrush--100 at Crane Creek
Brown Thrasher--2 Crane Creek
Yellow-rumped Warbler--numerous at Crane Creek
Black-throated Green Warbler--one singing bird seen at Crane Creek
Louisiana Waterthrush--one seen at Crane Creek
E. Towhee--5 at Crane Creek
Tree Sparrow--only bird was at feeders at Maumee State Park
Junco--common today
Chipping Sparrow--Bono and Maumee State Park
Field Sparrow--2 migrants at Bono; one singing on territory on Stange
Road
Swamp Sparrow--heard singing at Mallard Marsh
White-throated Sparrow--at least 4 at Crane Creek
Fox Sparrow--20 plus at Crane Creek
Rusty Blackbird--widespread in wooded areas today though relatively
few at Crane Creek
Purple Finch--One female at feeder at Pearson Metropark

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington HIlls, Mi.