From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:19:49 -0400
Seekers:
        Hit the DEL button now if you have tired of my yearly pleas for birders
to risk returning home with a very short list after a day spent looking
for Smith's longspur. Outside of a few spotted by alert Amish farmers in
Holmes/Wayne?Tuscarawas, this has been a no-show in Ohio for many years.
I'm not aware of any radical changes in its occurrence as a spring
migrant anywhere else, but while within the past 50 years it has been
reliable in April in a number of spots in SW and central Ohio, usually
corn-stubble fields with old foxtail and a few favored pastures, these
spots are productive no more, probably mostly victims of "clean" farming.
        Six years ago, I devoted an entire issue of the Ohio Cardinal to this
bird, its habitat preferences, and its history in Ohio, with testimony
from witnesses to its occurrence. A few observers--the Cullens have been
combing Wood Co, and Troy Shively areas in west-central parts of the
state--have kept the faith that this bird still passes through Ohio.
        This weekend and the next define the prime time for this Ohio rarity.
Search large agricultural fields, especially if they host patches of old
matted yellowed grasses from last fall. If you can get permission to
walk the fields, your chances are much better, because you may not see
longspurs until you're almost on top of them. The white wing-patches of
Smith's are usually very apparent, in flight and even on the ground. The
males will have a lot of breeding plumage by now. Listen for a rattly
call when they flush. They usually congregate rather than spreading out.
You can walk to find them, or scope between rows of stubble. Weedy
fields are scarce enough in today's chemical-laced agriculture to make
any worth a look, especially at this prime time of year.
As always, good luck!
Bill Whan
Columbus