From:
Debbie Woischke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:08:28 EDT
I live in the north end of Clintonville, a suburb on the north side  of
Columbus.  This must be the spring of the chipping sparrow.  Is  anyone else
noticing large numbers of them?  I've been hearing a lot of  them on walks at work,
and then last night I had 17 of them in my yard!  I  already broke that record
this morning with 21 and it's barely 10 AM!   I also had a brown thrasher and
two white-throated sparrows this morning, in  addition to three juncos still
hanging around.  But 21 chipping  sparrows?!  Not bad for a yard that is only
about 120 X 40 and mostly  covered by house, unattached garage and a long
concrete driveway!

I've had a couple other "yard records" this spring, too.  I  had 13
red-winged blackbirds during the early March blizzard, and two  mockingbirds on April
3rd.  (I usually only see one, if any at  all.)

Other birds here include the "usuals": grackle, house sparrow,  house finch,
starling, pigeon, blue jay, cardinal, mourning dove, robin and  downy
woodpeckers.  I'm still hoping for goldfinch, red-winged blackbird,  brown-headed
cowbird and Carolina chickadee, and any other surprises that want  to come my way!

Debbie Woischke

Finance.      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolcmp00300000002850)