Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:17:22 -0700
APR. 12, 2008 - Cuyahoga Valley National Park - park at the overflow lot north of Lock 29 & hike the R.R. tracks north, into the woods west of the tracks to the trestle, then west of the tracks again, back down to the tracks & into the field west of Stumpy Basin (west side of the Cuyahoga), then back to the tracks, across the trestle then into the hardwoods east of the tracks up to the Buckeye Trail then onto the old closed section of Akron Peninsula Rd. back down to the overflow lot.
  TIME: 7:00am-9:30am TEMP.: 47-50 COND.: Cloudy, cool.
  FT. MI.: 1.75 OBS.: Douglas W. Vogus.
  I. MAMMALS: 3 SPECIES.
  1. Eastern Chipmunk - 2
  2. Eastern Gray Squirrel - 4 (1 black phase)
  3. White-tailed Deer - 13
  II. BIRDS: 47 SPECIES.
  (?= bird was seen but not sexed; *= bird was heard calling but not seen)
  1. Canada Goose - 8
  2. Wood Duck - 4 (2m,2f)
  3. Mallard - 3 (2m,1f)
  4. Hooded Merganser - 1 (f)
  5. Great Blue Heron - 1
  6. Turkey Vulture - 4
  7. Red-tailed Hawk - 1 (on nest, sycamore tree along field north of trestle)
  8. Herring Gull - 11
  9. Mourning Dove - 3
  10. Belted Kingfisher - 1 (m)
  11. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 4 (2m,2*)
  12. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1
  13. Downy Woodpecker - 4 (*)
  14. Hairy Woodpecker - 2 (1f,1?)
  15. Northern Flicker - 4 (1m,1?,2*)
  16. Eastern Phoebe - 3
  17. Blue Jay - 7
  18. American Crow - 2
  19. Tree Swallow - 2
  20. Black-capped Chickadee - 8
  21. Tufted Titmouse - 4
  22. White-breasted Nuthatch - 3 (1?,2*)
  23. Brown Creeper - 1 (singing between old A.P. Rd. & Boston Run)
  24. Carolina Wren - 3
  25. Winter Wren - 1 (calling & singing)
  26. Eastern Bluebird - 1 (m)
  27. American Robin - 9
  28. Brown Thrasher - 1 (old A.P. Rd.)
  29. European Starling - 4
  30. Yellow-rumped Warbler - 1 (*)
  31. Yellow-throated Warbler - 1 (singing male in sycamores west of trestle)
  32. Eastern Towhee - 1 (male along old A.P. Rd.)
  33. American Tree Sparrow - 8
  34.Chipping Sparrow - 1
  35. Field Sparrow - 3
  36. Vesper Sparrow - 1
  37. Fox Sparrow - 2
  38. Song Sparrow - 13
  39. White-throated Sparrow - 6
  40. Northern Cardinal - 8 (5m,3f,1*)
  41. Red-winged Blackbird - 6 (m)
  42. Common Grackle - 4
  43. Brown-headed Cowbird - 9 (7m,2f)
  44. Purple Finch - 1 (lone male singing near pine grove north of overflow lot)
  45. House Finch - 1 (m)
  46. American Goldfinch - 5 (m)
  47. House Sparrow - 4
  III. AMPHIBIANS: 1 SPECIES.
  1. Northern Spring Peeper - (* - many)
  PLANTS of NOTE: Wild Onions & Ramps popping up, Bloodroot as well.
     Almost all the sparrows were seen in the field just north of the trestle, east of the tracks. The north side of the field held 3 field sparrows, 6 song sparrows and the 2 fox sparrows were between the field and the river. The east end of the field held 1 field & 4 song. The southern edge of the field held 2 song, and the vesper was mixed in with the flock of tree sparrows. This field used to have corn a few years back but now has grown over but the park regularly mows it. I didn't bird the southern edge as much as I wanted because I didn't want to bother the red-tail, as she was staying tight on the nest, watching me, well, like a hawk.
  Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.