From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 20:50:35 -0400
I started the day at Rowe Arboretum near my home in eastern Cincinnati.

Brown Thrasher singing and easily visible

Yellow-throated Warbler 1, singing and quite visible

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1

Pine Siskin 2 sets of birds apparently paired flying around.  For one
pair, one of the birds following the other one was displaying by
spreading its wings and tail showing the yellow stripe in the wings and
yellow in the tail.  The four birds landed in a deciduous tree.  One
bird hovered above a sitting bird, appearing to try to copulate but
didn't.  Some siskins singing again this morning like last Sunday.

California Woods:

Yellow-throated Warbler 2 singing

Northern Parula 2 singing

Looked for the Louisiana Waterthrush without success.

Voice of America Park, Mason:

Wison's Snipe 2

Savannah Sparrow 5

Vesper Sparrow 2, along the blacktop entry road off of Cox Road, near
the dead end

Allen Road Retention Basin, off Union Boulevard off of I75:

Blue-winged Teal 3

Barn Swallow 2

Caesar Creek SP, beach off of Route 73

Caspian Tern 2 at about 3:30 pm

Caesar Creek SP, Gorge below dam

Louisiana Waterthrush 1 at about 4:00 pm.  Cross the river to the gravel
trail and continue along the east side of the river to the bridge.

Spring Valley WA

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 30+ mixed in with many Tree Swallows,
looking from the parking lot by the dam

Barn Swallow 2

Osprey 1

On the bike trail north of the trail with cable that connects to SPWA.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1

Yellow-throated Warbler 1

Pine Warbler 1

Rusty Blackbird 2 m, 1 f

At the boardwalk at about 6:00 pm.

Blue-winged Teal 13

Wood Duck 2 (m + f)

Sora 3 heard after imitating the rising whistled call

Swamp Sparrow 4, several singing

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, Oh