From:
Ben Winger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Winger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:55:16 -0400
Greetings,

This morning (4/13) a Eurasian Green-winged Teal (or Common Teal depending
on your nomenclature) was found by Joe Woznarowski  et al. (I hope I spelled
his name right) near the Station Road Bridge in Cuyahoga Valley National
Park, Brecksville.  Paula Lozano, Bob Finkelstein and I happened to be
walking south on the railroad tracks and came upon Joe's group, who had just
found the bird.  We relocated it and many people from the Sunday morning
bird walk were able to get nice looks at this beautiful drake.  I got some
decent digiscoped photos, and will post them later today with more details,
but for now, the bird appeared to show all of the features of a Common Teal,
and did not appear to be a hybrid.

Park at the Station Road Bridge south of rte. 82 (Chippewa Road), and walk
south along the railroad tracks for ~400 yards until a swampy area of open
water and dead snags along the west (right) side of the tracks. The Common
Teal was usually associating with group of 4 Green-Winged Teal (2 males, 2
females), among the snags and cattails, but was sometimes hidden by itself.

good birding,

Ben Winger