From:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Basalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:34:29 -0400
While out birding the Cuyahoga Valley National Park today I lost the "pen" portion of  my IFlyer. It most likely got away from me somewhere south of Station Road on the Towpath, or possibly in the general vicinity of the Station Road Bridge trailhead parking lot. If anyone else was out there today, (looking for the Common/Eurasian Teal, maybe?) and ran across the device, please let me know. It was a Christmas gift from my boyfriend, and I feel like a total heel for somehow dropping it.

Incidentally, we did not see the teal, but the valley was alive with birds. We walked the Towpath and the Old Carriage Trail and saw:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck
RB Gull
RT Hawk
Turkey Vulture
GB Heron
Killdeer
Belted Kingfisher
Red-Bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker (my second this spring, I saw one at Lakewood Park last week)
Eastern Phoebe (saw 4, hear many, many more calling)
Hermit Thrush
Am Robin
N. Mockingbird
Blue Jay
Am Crow
BC Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
WB Nuthatch (looked for and did not find Red-Breasted)
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet
(a possible Magnolia Warbler -- it got scared off by a Sapsucker before I could confirm ID)
RW Blackbird
Common Grackle
Song Sparrow
N Cardinal

In other words, nothing much out of the ordinary, but lots and lots of birds, all doing wonderful spring things on a gorgeous day.

-Leslie Basalla
Cleveland