From:
James Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 20:36:53 -0500
Greetings
    OBBA2 Region 53 along with the Little Beaver Creek Land Foundation
and the Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center will be hosting a
Blockbuster weekend June 6, 7 & 8.
    Region 53 covers half of Mahoning County, most of Columbiana County,
and parts of Jefferson and Carroll counties.  Our region has a very wide
range of habitats, from grasslands and marshes to riparian corridors and
hemlock gorges.  We have some good birders here but not nearly enough to
do a good job of documenting all of our species.
     It is our goal to get some experienced birders in here to help us
cover the areas we haven't gotten to yet.
     We also would like your help documenting our Common Merganser
population.  We know that a number of mergansers nest in the watershed
but we would like a better idea of just how many. The ODNR/ Dept of
Natural Areas and Preserves will provide canoes for those who wish to
canoe the watershed. Canoeing in a great way to bird and I highly
recommend it.
    But  we are not just looking for canoers. We also welcome people who
just like to drive from location to location. It would also be nice to
get some hardy souls who want to explore our hemlock gorges.   It is our
hope that once you see our area you may want to come back.
     The blockbuster will be headquartered at the Beaver Creek Wildlife
Education Center. If you come in on friday night you can join us at the
Center for a cookout and a sort of kickoff ceremony with talks by Aaron
Boone, OBBA2 Coordinator, and  ODNR Director Sean Logan.
      Information about this event will soon be on the Ohio
Ornithological Society website.  It will also be available on the LBCWEC
website, http://www.beavercreekwildlife.org/. And of course, I'll keep
sending out reminders.
      You are also welcome to contact me with any questions.

   Jim Dolan  OBBA2 Region 53 coordinator
   East Palestine
   330 831 1744