From:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Steiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:39:49 -0700
Although as it warms up most people are beginning to look for spring birds, my dad and I went to Mohican to see if the Grosbeaks were still around.  While we were there we did see 1 female EVENING GROSBEAK at the feeders.  I talked to the owner of the house who said that there are 4 females still coming to his feeders every day (most reliable about an hour after sunrise but often seen throughout the day).  These birds are well worth going to see, even if you have seen grosbeaks earlier this winter.  They are changing to their breeding plumages and now have comical looking pea green beaks.  The owner of the house is very friendly and urged us to come off the road and stand in his yard where we could see better.

  If you do not know where the grosbeaks are located, here a directions.  If you are driving 97 through Mohican State Park you will see a sign that says "juvenile correctional facility" with an arrow.  Turn on this road.  You will pass the facility and then a large red fire tower.  You will come to a short row of houses and the last house on the right side (gray with some sort of tower like thing built into the front of the house) of the road.  The feeders are in the back of the house.  If anyone has any further questions on how to get there they can e-mail me privately.

  Killbuck Marsh and Funk Bottoms are also very productive.  At the end of the day my dad and I had seen a total of 77 species.

  Good Birding!

  Ryan Steiner
  Smithville, OH