From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 13:17:17 -0400
I drove the country roads after early services at church, again today, but
in this block for the first time this season.  The overcast skies gave way
to scattered sun, and the birds were in full song in many places.  I was
able to confirm a couple more species today, and spotted some nice migrants
as well.  The list:

Canada goose - three "pairs", in fields

Mallard - a pair on a temporary wet spot

Red-tailed hawk - one on nest with another perched nearby, what looked like
two fuzzy heads, but hard to see

Mourning doves

Red-headed woodpeckers - 7 total, in 5 different locations.  This is still
red-headed woodpecker heaven, confirmed last year.

Red-bellied woodpecker

Northern flicker

Horned larks - in two different recently plowed fields.  Today marks the
beginning of the "safe" dates for this bird, so I recorded OS.

Tree swallow

Barn swallow

Northern mockingbird

Brown thrasher - they were everywhere, and in full song

Eastern bluebird - already confirmed last year, but re-confirmed today.

American robin

Blue-gray gnatcatcher

Carolina chickadee

Blue jay

American crow - finally saw one actually building a nest.  Followed it with
binoculars carrying shredded corn husk material.

European starling - carrying nesting material

American goldfinch

Yellow-throated warbler - probably a migrant, but he was in large pines

Chipping sparrow - singing on territory everywhere

Filed sparrow - also singing on territory, but confirmed last year

Song sparrow

Northern cardinal

Red-winged blackbirds

Eastern meadowlark

Common grackle

Brown-headed cowbird

In addition, although it seems early, I'm pretty sure I heard a prairie
warbler.  The habitat was right, but I couldn't spot it with my binoculars,
and it wasn't singing consistently enough to get a good location.

I'm not a great birder.  I just love the outdoors, and watching birds.  I'm
sure that it will take me more time to accomplish what others might in the
required 25 hours.  But frankly, I can't think of anything else that I would
rather do with my time.  I am really looking forward to the end of school,
when I can spend at least 6 mornings a week "out there".  I encourage anyone
who bothers to read my posts to record your own observations for the OBBA
II.  It's easy.  I even record observations for blocks that I do not "own",
when I see confirming evidence of nesting.

Also, don't assume that an observation has been entered simply because a
nest is well known locally.  The heron rookery in Newark is very well known
to local birders, but no one had entered it as an observation until I
accepted "ownership" of the block last year, much to my surprise.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH