From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:36:43 -0400
I kept travel to a minimum today and visited several forest tracts along this creek in eastern Columbus & its suburbs.  2 big forest blocks stretch along the creek in Gahanna and Columbus.  The former parallels Ridenour Rd, while the latter runs along Noe-Bixby Rd.  Since these are the only large forests in this area, they act as modest migrant traps, and parks along them (like Woodside Green in Gahanna or Big Walnut in Columbus) can be good in migration.  Today was still mostly temperate migrants, but there was good diversity and some surprises.  Highlights included:

Broad-winged Hawks - 2-3 were soaring above Big Walnut Park in Columbus, which is a good number for here.

Solitary Sandpiper - 1 flying along the creek in Gahanna

Chimney swifts - pairs were chattering over both riparian areas; they'll nest in urban areas that flank these forests but feed over the forests

woodpeckers - many, including a bumper crop of flickers (7+) and a single sapsucker.  On 2 occasions this morning, I saw female birds drumming and fighting, so I would wager that woodpeckers of both sexes can get feisty in Spring.

Flycatchers - still only Phoebes, but they're widespread

swallows - Trees and Rough-wings were foraging over the creek at several places, and the latter were propecting for nest sites around a few bridge pylons.

Nuthatches - a single Red-breasted was still lurking at Gahanna's Friendship Park, while a White-breasted pair have set up a nest in a Sycamore cavity only a stone's throw from the busy new Creekside shopping district in Gahanna.

Wrens - lots of Carolina pairs singing all along the creek; 2-3 House Wrens were trying to set up territories in Big Walnut park.

Kinglets,Gnatcatchers - 10+ Ruby-crowns and 18+ Gnatcatchers over the 3 hours I was out during the morning

Thrushes,Mimids - no migrant thrushes, but a Brown Thrsaher was lurking in a thicket at Big Walnut Park

Warblers - Yellow-rumps were abundant and singing at every stop.  Along with them I found 7 singing Yellow-throated, 4 singing Pines, and a single La. Waterthrush (feeding & singing along an isolated stretch of the creek in Big Walnut Park).

Sparrows - the flocks of White-throats have grown noticeably smaller and scarcer, while Chipping sparrows were singing from every yard and meadow.  A few pairs of Fields and Songs filled out the sparrow picture.

Finches - along with numerous Goldfinches and House Finches, a single Pine Siskin was feeding on Elm seeds at the edge of Gahanna's Friendship Park