From:
Jeff Maass <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:34:44 -0500
At my rural/suburban location North of Dublin Ohio.

After not seeing one for a long time, a single Red-breasted Nuthatch visited my peanut
feeders today. Not much coloration on the breast for this individual.

For the past few days, a Pine Warbler has been visiting my peanut and suet feeders, as
they did in the Fall.

I got good photos of each of them today.

A few Juncos are still around.

This is in addition to my normal visitors: Red-Winged Blackbird, White-breasted Nuthatch,
Chipping Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, House Sparrow, House Finch, Cardinals (many,
many), Carolina Chickadee, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker (many,many), Red-bellied
Woodpecker,  Dark-eyed Junco, Tufted Titmouse, Goldfinches (many, many), Blue Jay,
Brown-headed Cowbird, and Mourning Dove. I've not seen any exotic or interesting migrants
here at "Moose Acres".

One of the local Cooper's Hawks swooped in for a visit while I was watching from my porch
yesterday, landing on a branch near the feeders. We eyeballed each other for about a
minute before he decided to depart. This was at a distance of about 15 feet, and my camera
was not at hand!

Keeping careful watch for the return of the hummingbirds, but nothing yet. Last year, the
first arrived here on May 3 (after the very cold snap we had in April '07), and I thought
they've find me earlier this year. Feeders have been up for a month now.

Jeff Maass

http://www.k8nd.com/LocalCritters.htm
http://www.k8nd.com/CuracaoCritters.htm