Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:52:52 EDT
Spring is Officially here. Today Linda and I checked several areas of the
Hoover Nature Preserve and we had Prothonotary Warblers at each. I had a few
earlier but today I hit double-digits as it appears a wave of new arrivals came
in last night. The areas I checked today included Area M/N, Dustin Road and
Twin  Bridges. Other warbler species are also showing up at the preserve. The
species observed today include:

Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose    (nesting)
Wood Duck
Mallard    (nesting)
Blue-winged Teal
Red-breasted Merganser
Osprey    (nesting)
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk    (nesting)
Cooper's Hawk    (nesting)
Broad-winded Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk    (nesting)
American Coot
Killdeer
Bonaparte's Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker    (at nest hole)
Downy Woodpecker    (at nest hole)
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker    (nesting)
Eastern Phoebe    (nesting)
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow    (nesting in boxes)
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren    (gathering nest material)
House Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher