Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:33:09 GMT
First of all, I arrived back home on the farm on Monday evening, following a two week business trip to southern California.

At first jet lagged, and then overmatched by the busy schedule of spring farm tasks (monitoring pregnant ewes, roofing a small barn, etc.) I have failed to make a full circuit of the property yet. But I have noticed the return of a few old friends.

Field sparrows have returned. Their songs were lovely music while I crawled around on the barn roof.

This afternoon I heard my first phoebe. Then I spotted it singing from the scrubby trees along the road in front of the horse barn.

I finally got out in favorable weather this morning to check the bluebird boxes, which are more commonly tree swallow boxes. Sure enough. Tree swallows, or pairs thereof, were perched atop boxes 2 and 6. (My numbering system: I know it means nothing to other readers.) Male house sparrow at box 4. Grrrr! Singing bluebirds are around, but as usual appear to be using "natural" cavities in the woodpecker-friendly forest.

A pileated woodpecker flying across the back forty clearing was a highlight this morning as well.

There are plenty of towhees urging us to drink our tea. This species may have overwintered. In the snows of February, Jane called my cellphone in SoCal to ask about a birdsong encountered during her daily walk. Her description sounded most like towhee to me.

Canada geese are regularly flying low over Flint Ridge on their way to and from the Dillon reservoir area. Soaring turkey vultures are a common sight.

While driving to the dentist yesterday I saw my season's first meadowlark on the utility wires along Pinkerton Rd., west of Zanesville. Also, an obvious pair of kestrels were on similar wires a little further south.

I swear I'm going to get up early tomorrow and check out the far ravine to see if the Louisiana waterthrushes are back.

Bob Evans
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County
Delorme 70, A1 (classic editions)