From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:11:51 -0400
If I were to describe the remaining natural habitats around Columbus, the top of the list would be occupied by 3 things: riparian, ravine, and upland forest/field.  Most of the parks hereabouts usually emphasize 1 or 2 of these habitats; some of the bigger MetroParks have all 3.  This morning, for instance, I birded Sharon Woods and the nearby Alum Creek greenbelt in Westerville, and I wound up visiting all 3.  I'd love to say that one or more were swarming with birds, but the fact is that it was a bit of a slow morning.  But there were still some notables:

Waterfowl - Shrock Lake in Sharon Woods still had a lingering Lesser Scaup, Coot, and Pied-billed grebe.  Lake Otterbein along the greenbelt had nothing but geese.

Raptors - hardly any, save a resident Red-tail along the greenbelt and a few stray Turkey Vultures

Woodpeckers - lots of Downies (is it just me or are they super-abundant this Spring?) among other expected woodpeckers.  A Pileated calling down in Spring Creek ravine (in Sharon Woods) was a good surprise.  Before I even got out of the car at Sharon Woods, a male Flicker hopped up along the edge of the parking strip, digging and calling.  When I later looked at where he had been digging, it was in active ant colonies.

Flycatchers - still only Phoebes, but again they were widespread.  Pairs appear to be nest-building under footbridges in Sharon Woods and the Alum Creek bikepath.

Thrushes - no Hermits, but a Wood Thrush was singing along the Thomas Trail in Sharon Woods (secondary upland forest), my first locally so far.

Kinglets, gnatcatchers - fewer Ruby-crowns (7 in 2 hours), but still above-normal numbers of gnatcatchers (16+ over the same period)

Warblers - still lots of Yellow-rumps in all habitats, mostly foraging up in the crowns of budding-out trees.  Yellow-throateds were singing in ravine and riparian habitats (Spring Creek and the Alum greenbelt, respectively)

Towhees - these continue their banner Spring, with multiple singing birds in all habitats.  They're normally rather uncommon around suburban Columbus.

Sparrows - Field Sparrows were all over the meadows of Sharon Woods (upland), mostly in pairs, while Chippings were mostly around the picnic areas or nearby suburban yards.  Most of the White-throats were in small flocks along the riparian greenbelt.

Finches - Goldfinches were in small numbers everywhere, and a single Pine Siskin was hanging out with a small flock around Shrock Lake (where they've been virtually the entire Winter and early Spring).