From:
Dan Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:16:01 -0400
Hello everyone:

CLEVELAND METROPARKS "NORTH COAST NATURE FESTIVAL"
FEATURES NATIONAL AND LOCAL SPEAKERS

Cleveland Metroparks invites everyone to hear an array of
nationally-recognized and local speakers at the "North Coast Nature
Festival" event for nature lovers, beginning Friday evening, April 25
through Sunday, April 27.

The event features a variety of programs and activities for novice to
experienced nature enthusiasts, and includes "The Nature & Art Show" on
Saturday and Sunday at Rocky River Nature Center in Rocky River
Reservation in North Olmsted.

In addition to "The Nature & Art Show" activities, visitors have the
opportunity to enjoy two Special Evening Presentations on Friday night,
April 25 at 7 and 9 p.m. and Saturday night, April 26 at 7 p.m.
The Friday evening presentation (at 7 p.m. and repeated at 9 p.m.)
features nationally-known Nature Photographer & Author Rod Planck with
"South Georgia Island - Antarctic Paradise."  Planck will share images
and stories and take everyone on a virtual tour to one of the more
remote areas in the southern hemisphere, South Georgia Island.  Visit
colonies teaming with hundreds of thousands of penguins, beaches strewn
with elephant seals and see breathtaking landscapes along the way.

Planck:  Rod Planck has been involved in nature photography for over 25
years. His images have appeared in such magazines as Audubon, Sierra,
Natural History, Backpacker, Birder's World, National and International
Wildlife, and Ranger Rick, and in numerous calendars and textbooks.
Planck has also been featured in print advertisements with such clients
as Nikon, Fuji and Kodak, and in television advertisements. His devotion
to using ethical photographic methods has gained him the respect of many
nature photographers worldwide.

The Saturday night presentation at 7 p.m. is entitled "Wings of the
Imagination: Why We Need Birds" with Kenn Kaufman.  Why is it that some
birds of daylight sing their most glorious songs at night?  How can a
bird build an intricate, detailed nest, and then use it for only one
season?   Why can we find birds thriving both in verdant jungles and in
the most desolate landscapes?  What can we learn from the ability of
birds to adapt to changes in their surroundings?  Drawing on a lifetime
of experiences from Africa to the Antarctic to American back yards, Kenn
Kaufman explores the mysteries of bird life and the ways that they can
add to our understanding of our place in the world.  In this richly
illustrated talk, he suggests that our encounters with birds not only
increase our sense of wonder, but also can increase our ability to
communicate with our fellow humans.

Kaufman:  Often compared to the late Roger Tory Peterson, Kenn Kaufman
is an author, artist, photographer, and speaker who has focused on birds
and nature since the age of six.  He now edits his own field guide
series, the Kaufman Field Guides, with volumes on North American birds,
butterflies, mammals, and insects.  The bird guide has been published in
a Spanish version, as well as the English version.  His other books
include a popular memoir, Kingbird Highway, and a standard reference,
Lives of North American Birds.  A new memoir, Flights Against the
Sunset, is being published in spring 2008.  In addition, Kaufman is a
field editor for Audubon and a regular contributor to most major birding
magazine, and has led birding tours on all seven continents.  He lives
in northwestern Ohio with his wife, Kim.

Both of the evening presentations are free.  Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and
seating is limited for both.

"The Nature & Art Show," on Saturday, April 26 and Sunday, April 27 from
10 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days, also features a great variety of
presentations by guest speakers, along with nature art/photography
exhibits and sales, exhibits of nature-related organizations and other
nature-minded vendors, hikes for all ages, live animal presentations,
musical entertainment, a birding field trip (off-site), children's
activities, a 'Native Plant Sale,' and more.

Speakers featured on Saturday and Sunday include: Andy Jones on
"Migration All Around Us: How Birds Navigate Through the Americas" at
10:30 a.m., "Amphibians of the Great Lakes" with Bill Flanagan at 12:30
p.m., "Modern Bird Photography Techniques'" with Rod Planck at 2 p.m.,
and "The Big Picture Through Little Eyes, A Truly Ribbiting Story" with
Kathy Krynak at 4 p.m.

Mini-seminars are also offered on "Birding Optics" with Eagle Optics at
11 a.m., "EarthWords Birding Gadgets: Low-Tech to High-Tech" with Heidi
Stelmach at noon, "Digital Nature Photography" with Dodd Camera at 1:30
p.m., and "Photoshop" with Dodd Camera at 3:30 p.m.

Rocky River Nature Center is located at 24000 Valley Parkway, between
Cedar Point Road and Shepard Lane in North Olmsted - just off the
I-480/Clague Road exit (westbound) and I-480/Columbia Road exit
(eastbound).

For more information and a complete list of speakers and activities,
visit clevelandmetroparks.com, call 440-734-6660 or 216-635-3200.

Discover more about nature through all the great speakers at the "North
Coast Nature Festival" of Cleveland Metroparks - part of your life,
naturally!
-30-