From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:05:10 -0400
We're coming up to the season when birders from all over Ohio (and North America) will converge on the boardwalk at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area (also popularly, but incorrectly, known as the "Crane Creek boardwalk") in northwest Ohio.  Already I'm seeing a lot of birders (and birds) out there every day.  Last week we had a good push of early diversity on 4/17 and 4/18, then things were a little quieter over the weekend, then another big arrival came in on Wednesday 4/23.  It was a bit slower today, Thursday 4/24, but on the basis of current weather forecasts, I'm predicting that the birding may be fairly good on Saturday 4/26, although there may be rain and wind to contend with.  And of course, it will just continue to get better from now through most of May.

Birders often want to communicate about the precise locations of birds seen on the boardwalk.  There is a system of numbers in place, with numbers running from 1 at the west entrance to 34 at the east entrance, and these could be very useful if birders were able to keep track of them a little more easily.  The numbers used to be on little tags attached to the handrail, but now these have been replaced by numbers etched into the wood in the same locations.  They're inconspicuous and easy to miss if you're not looking for them.  To make it easier for birders to navigate and communicate on the boardwalk, I've drawn a map showing the locations of the numbers, and this is now available for free downloading from the website of the Black Swamp Bird Observatory.  Just go to http://www.bsbobird.org/birding/ and follow the link for "Birding hotspots: maps and directions."  On the same pages you'll also find maps for other birding sites, info on local lodging, a printable bird checklist, and frequent updates on what's happening with the migration.

If you have trouble downloading or printing the boardwalk map from the BSBO website, you can also stop and get a copy at the BSBO office (just north of Rt. 2 at the entrance to Crane Creek SP / Magee Marsh WA).  The nature center / shop is currently open Friday through Monday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., but during May it should be open every day.

Hope to see a lot of you out in the field this spring!

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio