Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:45:51 -0400
 Rob Lowry, Dan Sanders and I hit Hoover Resevoir early this morning to see some Prothonotary Warblers. We weren't dissappointed. We had 2 at Dustin Road, and great looks at Oxbow of 2 different males, they came within a few feet of us and sang, goosebump good. Also at the last peninsula at oxbow we had a good sized flock of warblers with BLACK-THROATED GREEN, BLUE-WINGED, PALM, YELLOW (MANY), and YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS. We also had 2 or 3 BALTIMORE ORIOLES, RW SWALLOWS, and WOOD DUCKS, HAIRY WOODPECKER, etc.

We stopped by Highbanks next to see the SUMMER TANAGER Rob had seen last night. Couldn't find it at first but did hear a repeated singing HOODED WARBLER, INDIGO BUNTING, NASHVILLE WARBLER (2), Baltimore Orioles. After Rob and Dan left I went out on the overlook behind the visitor center and was treated to quite a show. First was an awesome singing male BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, PINE WARBLER, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, WHITE-EYED VIREO, YELLOW AND YELLOW-RUMPS. Then all of a sudden the perfect male SUMMER TANAGER dropped in and perched in front of me and another birder for almost a minute for great views. Of course I'd put my camera away by then, darn it! The show wasn't over and what was next was truly great, a beautiful male CERULEAN WARBLER just above eye level for about ten minutes he foraged in the trees right off of the overlook. So pretty in the filtered sunlight, he would sing softly now and then. Really a neat treat, they are definitely uncommon in the area. After that I had another first of year bird, a male BLACK AND WHITE WARBLER. He came in very close ever the pied woodcreeper. Also the Louisiana Waterthrush was singing from the valley near the stream.

Back home again now I have Pine Siskin and White-Crowned Sparrows at my feeders. A great day!

     Good birding,

         - Ben Warner