Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:53:59 EDT
It's great to have so much information available for the  Magee Marsh /
Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge area.  I would imagine that  most of the people on
this listserv have been to Magee, but for those that  haven't.....

If you haven't had the experience of birding this area  during the month of
May -- check out Kenn Kaufman's, "Best Bets for Birding the  Crane Creek /
Magee Region"  _www.bsbobird.org/birding_ (http://www.bsbobird.org/birding)  --
and GO THERE!   It's amazing! While there are many wonderful places in  Ohio to
enjoy spring migration, the boardwalk at Magee is perhaps the  finest.  And
not just in Ohio!  Tens of thousands of people from  across the country (and
other countries) will visit this area because the  birding is so spectacular.
What makes it so great?  The fact that in  most years the trees have not fully
leafed out during early May making the  birds really easy to see.  The birds
are often foraging low --  offering stunning eye-level views.   The boardwalk is
expansive --  winding its way along approx. seven acres of great habitat --
of which, I'm  sorry to say, there is very little left along the Lake shore.
Most of these  areas have been developed so there is this sort of funneling
effect, piling the  birds into the few remaining areas of habitat left.   It's a
sad  commentary on the state of things -- but it does provide amazing
opportunities  for birders.  It also provides opportunities for  teaching visitors
about the value of these remaining areas!

Each Saturday during the month of May, the Black Swamp  Bird Observatory
(BSBO) assisted by members of the Ohio Young Birders Club, will  be offering FREE
bird banding demonstrations and migration programs at the BSBO  headquarters
located just inside the entrance to Magee Marsh and Crane Creek  State Park.
Programs will take place from 10:00 - 11:30 AM and  will offer detailed
information on BSBO's migration studies, including what  we've learned during the
more than 20 years that BSBO has been studying  migration in the Lake Erie Marsh
Region. Visitors will have the opportunity to  study beautiful spring
warblers, thrushes, and vireos up close, and learn more  about the amazing passage of
these birds as they utilize the critical stopover  habitat that this area
provides. Basic bird identification will be included, so  bring your favorite
field guide!  Join us for this unique  opportunity!
More information is available at _www.bsbobird.org_ (http://www.bsbobird.org)

One final note -- (and I know that my local birding  buddies will curse me
for this!) but...
For many years we were birding the Magee area before it  became so famous.
This was before the existence of the Boardwalk when  there was just a trail
winding its way through the area and you could find  a parking space in the lot
on any given day in the month of May. (remember those  days?.....)

During those days the trail became known  as "the bird trail" because, well,
it was a trail - and there were  tons of birds there.  The local birders still
know exactly where you're  referring to when you say the bird trail.  But now
we locals are joined by  thousands of birders from across the country.  There
are many walking  trails in the area now, including some great trails at
Ottawa NWR and even a  short (but sweet) trail at BSBO that offer great looks at
Eastern Meadowlarks  and American Woodcocks!  So, you can see how it can be
confusing to folks  visiting for the first time when we talk about "the bird
trail."   We've managed to break ourselves of this old habit and have started
refering to it as "The Magee Boardwalk" because then EVERYBODY knows what we're
talking about!   Yikes!  I know I'm going to take some heat for  this.  But
hey, I'm used to it!  :  )

Great birding!

Kim Kaufman
Education Director