From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:30:59 -0400
It's hard to beat the thrill of hearing your first Eastern Screech-Owl let
alone actually catching a glimpse of one of these amazing predatory birds.
The screech-owl is arguably the most abundant raptor in Ohio and
fortunately, it has a statewide distribution so it can be encountered pretty
much anywhere there's suitable habitat.  Of all nesting raptor species in
Ohio, the Eastern Screech-Owl was observed in a higher percentage of Atlas
blocks than any other bird of prey (98% of 764 priority blocks).  At the
time of Ohio's first breeding bird atlas, this statistic came as a genuine
surprise to project coordinators and many volunteers working on the project.

Have you heard or seen an Eastern Screech-Owl recently?  If so, we would
love to hear from you.  Current data of Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II shows
that screech-owls are being observed from across the state (a total of 177
blocks).  However, they are being detected quite sparsely-most likely
because of a noticeable lack of nocturnal survey efforts (view a current map
for this owl at http://bird.atlasing.org/Atlas/OH/Main?viewResults=1).

Please help the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II in its quest to provide accurate
distribution information for all species of nesting birds.  If you have
recently heard or seen this incredible bird, please email me privately at
[log in to unmask]  All you need to do is send me the date(s) of your
observations and your street address (if observed on your property).  If you
weren't already planning on turning in your observation, we would love to
include your valuable observations in the Atlas database.  To learn more
about participating in this incredibly fun project, visit
www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/ or contact our offices through telephone or email.

Also, please turn in any sightings you have so far of:

       Ring-necked Pheasant
       Ruffed Grouse
       Wild Turkey
       Rock Pigeon