Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:14:08 -0400
    Took a walk in the drizzle (off and on) and was rewarded with lovely views of some migrants. Seems we have a little movement of little birds. I was in the "back 40" so I guess these are yard birds here north of Sunbury, Delaware Co. I was surrounded at several instances by flocks of frenzied foragers, their tell tale high pitched "see see see" giving them away and I was able to get good views of about 2 dozen Golden Crowned Kinglets give or take a few. Always fun these littlle sprites. Last wed. morning on the BFEC bird walk (knox county) I had come across a Winter Wren so I was hoping to add that to my yard list, but no luck. I was rewarded with about half a dozen Fox Sparrows. I'd make a few pishes and chip notes and up they would pop, first one, then two and then I had 5 in one spot. Also in the mix was a nice male E. Towhee, Song Sparrows, Junco's, and several White-throated Sparrows. A notable lack of Am. Tree Sparrows, looks like they really are starting to leave. From the top of a hill I was lucky enough to observe at the bottom of our field 4 tom Wild Turkeys puffed up and struttin' for the benefit of one typically disinterested female bird. It was something else, pretty impressive. Another treat was several Wood ducks on our Creek and some D.e. Junco's were warming up their singing voices. A nice walk, hopefully I'll get some new yard birds this migration, I'm up to about 115, definately should have more for the size of our "yard". :-)

List :

Wild Turkey - 5

E. Phoebe - 1 singing

E. Towhee - 5

Fox Sparrow - 7

White-throated Sparrow - 5

D.E. Junco - 20 - some in song

Song Sparrow - 10+

Chipping Sparrow - 4

Field Sparrow - 2

Golden Crowned Kinglets - 20 something

Wood Ducks

Canada Geese

Red-tailed Hawk

Barred Owl -- actually heard hooting across the way on the neighbors

Killdeer

Am Crow, Blue Jay, Cardinal, Am Goldfinch, WB Nuthatch, Flicker, Downy Woodpeck, R.b. Woodpeck, Mourning dove, etc.

        Good birding,

              = Ben Warner