From:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl Overman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 23:50:52 -0400
On Tuesday, April 29th Paul Berrigan and I birded NW Ohio, starting
in the Oak Openings area. In the early morning, clear with little
wind.  We started on the perimeter of the Toledo Airport on Sager
Road.  We birded Oak Openings and Irwin Prairie before moving east of
Toledo to bird the Magee Marsh area.   References to "boardwalk" are
to the Crane Creek/Magee Marsh boardwalk.
Here are some highlights today:

Sandhill Crane--1 at Irwin Prairie (prospecting?)
Greater Yellowlegs--1 Irwin Prairie
Lesser Yellowlegs--3 Irwin Prairie
Dunlin--70 Bodi Road
Red-headed Woodpecker--refreshingly common at Oak Openings
Least Flycatcher--1  boardwalk
White-eyed Vireo--2 boardwalk
Yellow-throated Vireo--2 Oak Openings
Winter Wren--3 still along boardwalk
Red-eyed Vireo--1 boardwalk
Mockingbird--1 Irwin Prairie
Veery--4 boardwalk
Swainson's Thrush--1 boardwalk
Blue-winged Warbler--one Oak Openings
Cape May Warbler--1 male boardwalk
Pine Warbler--2 boardwalk
Bay-breasted Warbler--1 male at Metzgar Marsh
Northern Waterthrush--1 Irwin Prairie
Louisiana Waterthrush--one seen singing along rails to trails path
off of Watkins Road at Oak Openings
Hooded Warbler--one male boardwalk
Rose-breasted Grosbeak--1 Irwin Prairie
Indigo Bunting--2 Oak Openings
Lark Sparrow--4 on Girdham Road near Reed Road
Henslow's Sparrow--1 seen singing on Sager Road by Toledo Airport
Purple Finch--one young male singing at Oak Openings off of Girdham
& Reed Roads
Pine Siskin--1 or 2 heard near intersection of Girdham and Reed Road

Cheers,

Karl Overman
Farmington Hills, Mi