From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:32:56 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick update on the current progress of the Ohio
Breeding Bird Atlas II for 2008.  Even though we're barely into spring,
we're in the thick of breeding bird activity.  Right now, several Ohio
birders have turned in breeding bird data, and we have more than 800 records
so far for 2008!  It's hard to tell exactly how much data we had collected
by this time in April 2007, but it was definitely much lower than 800
records.  Nice work everyone!

These 800 records represent 51 species!  Of these, 21 species were submitted
with confirmed nesting records.  An important point to note here is that 73%
of the species submitted so far were outside of their safe dates upon
observation.  Highlighting this fact again emphasizes that safe dates DO NOT
define a species breeding season so getting out there early to do Atlas work
may pay off in a big way.  Any 'probable' or 'confirmed' breeding
observation can be reported to OBBA2 any time of year.

Species that have been confirmed so far this year are:

Canada Goose
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Woodcock
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
European Starling
Common Grackle
House Sparrow

If you would like more information about participating in the Ohio Breeding
Bird Atlas II, please contact us at [log in to unmask] or (614) 247-6458.

Keep up the good work out there and we hope to see you in the field!

Aaron Boone
Project Coordinator
Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II
(614) 247-6458