From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 22:32:47 -0400
I had an awesome day of birding right here on the 27.86 m/l acres that I
call home in Morgan County near the north end of Burr Oak Lake.  Part 1 of
the day consisted of sitting by a farm pond that has mostly brushy edges,
with mature Black Willows hanging out over the water. This area has the
potential to act as a miniature migrant trap when conditions allow.  Today
was no exception.  Five species of vireo, 11 species of warbler, Eastern
Kingbird and Great crested Flycatcher all were spectacular at close range.
When the birds slow down, the resident Gray Catbirds and Brown Thrasher are
more than enough to entertain.  I also heard my first YB Cuckoo and YB Chat
as well.  The highlight of Part 1 of the day was a Green heron that opted to
not pay much attention to my wife or I and put on a show scurrying around
the pond catching small Blue Gill and Bullfrog tadpoles.  This bird had a
bottomless pit.  Every 10 or 15 minutes the heron would flush, fly out over
the field and then return to more of the same.  This went on for three hours
more or less. Later in the day (Part 2), I decided to go back down to the
pond and sit some more, in the very same spot as before and after about an
hour was rewarded with a bathing Lincoln's Sparrow.  This little guy bathed
in the edge of a pond for a couple minutes, then jumped up to a willow
branch and sat in clear view for more extended looks.  This was a new yard
bird for me.   A Broad-winged Hawk made a quick and low pass through the
field in perfect sunlight.  ...What a day..

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake