From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 13:32:21 -0400
I spent a few hours checking on parks along the Olentangy River in urban Columbus, starting at Antrum Lake, then visiting Whetstone Park, and finishing at the OSU wetlands.  Migrant numbers were strongest early (at Antrum Lake), and declined noticeably as the morning wore on.  By the time I reached Whetstone, I didn't find the numbers or diversity that Paul & Jeff had there earlier.  I would guess that this good weather allows the birds to keep moving.  Highlights included:

Horned Grebe - a nice Spring-plumaged bird on Antrum Lake
Red-shouldered Hawk - a calling bird in the Whetstone ravine near High St.
E.Wood Pewee - single bird calling at Whetstone (1st of Spring, surprisingly)
Least Flycatchers - 2 at Antrum Lake, 2 at OSUwetlands
Crested Flycatchers - 2-4 birds in each park
E.Kingbird - 2 at Antrum Lake
Blue-headed Vireo - 1 at OSU wetlands
Yellow-throated Vireo - 1 at Antrum Lake
Warbling Vireo - 26+ between the 3 parks; 1 was finishing up a nest at Whetstone
Red-eyed Vireo - 10+ between the 3 parks
Swainson's Thrush - only singles at Antrum & Whetstone
Wood Thrush - 8+ between the 3 parks, with 5 in the Whetstone ravine
Blue-winged Warbler - 1 at Antrum
Parula - singles at Antrum, Whetstone
Yellow - several at all 3 parks; OSU wetland had the most (4)
Nashville - 2-4 in each park, often giving surprisingly different songs
Tennessee - 3-6 in each park; second most common warbler of morning
Black-thr.Blue- singing males at Antrum, Whetstone (ravine)
Magnolia - 2 in Whetstone ravine
Black-thr.Green - 4+ at Antrum Lake
Blackburnian - singing males at Antrum Lake & Whetstone
Chesnut-sided - 2-4 in each park
Yellow-throated - 1-2 in each park
Bay-breasted - single male at OSU wetlands
Yellow-rumped - 5-7 birds at each park; most common warbler of morning
Palm - 3+ birds at Antrum Lake
Redstart - singing males, 2 at Antrum Lake, 1 at Whetstone
Ovenbird - 1 at Whetstone (ravine)
Common Yellowthroat - 3+ at OSU wetlands
Rose-br.Grosbeak - singing males at Antrum Lake & Whetstone
Indigo Bunting - 2-5 at every park
Baltimore Oriole - 25+ between the 3 parks